Call for Nominations of Young Scientists as Members of the South African Young Academy of
The South African Young Academy of Science (SAYAS), founded in September 2011, is calling
for applications for new members. This letter is to request nominations of outstanding young
scientists who may be elected as members of SAYAS. In the founding year (2011),
scientists were elected. 10 new members have been elected progressively on an annual basis.
After five years of service, members will become alumni and will be replaced by newly elected
To qualify for nomination, a candidate should meet the following criteria:
- Be in possession of a PhD or equivalent degree in any field of scientific enquiry, where
science is defined broadly as encompassing natural sciences, social sciences, arts and
humanities, medical sciences and engineering;
- Be under the age of 40 years and within 7 years from award of a PhD at the time of
nomination. Nomination of candidates who deviate from this profile requires additional
- Evidence of scientific excellence through a proven publication record, and receipt of
honours and awards;
- Evidence of activities demonstrating service to society;
- Be willing to actively work towards achieving the goals of SAYAS as well as a commitment to
attending the Annual General Meetings (AGM).
Institutions/associations/individuals may nominate more than one candidate. Self-nominations
shall also be considered, provided that the nomination is endorsed by the nominee’s institution.
The 2020 Nomination form with guidelines for nominators can be accessed at:
Please assist us in circulating these documents widely.
Access more information on SAYAS at: www.sayas.org.za
Applicants are requested to complete the nomination form and send the completed form to
Edith Shikumo, SAYAS Secretariat (Edith@assaf.org.za) by 13 May 2020. Unfortunately, we will be
unable to accept any late submissions.
Should you require any further information please
contact Edith Shikumo on Tel: 012 349 6614